Approximately 1 week ago, we visited The Muji Cafe at Plaza Singapura (PS) at Dhoby Ghaut that stirred quite a hype. While I had their Pork Katsu Rice, Mr Choo had an expensive SGD$16.90 4-dish “Cai Peng” AKA Mixed Vegetable Rice (in our native Singaporean lingo). After posting it on our social media, it caused quite a fair bit of reaction and discussion among friends. Therefore, we decided to recreate The Muji Cafe Experience right at home to find out exactly how much it will cost us to cook it from scratch.
Firstly, I visited their website to look at their menu to see what exactly I can recreate. These are the 4 items I selected,
- Baked Salmon with Miso Cream
- Glazed Balsamic Pork with Roasted Vegetable
- Prawn Couscous Salad with Yuzu-sesame Dressing
- Orecchiette Pasta and Mushroom Salad in Truffle Ranch Dressing
What I recreated was,
- Baked Salmon with Miso paste
- Glazed Balsamic Pork
- Prawn Couscous Salad with sesame Dressing
- Mushroom salad with Truffle Dressing
- Asari Clams
This is our final product
How much exactly does it cost us? (condiments and seasoning were done in estimation)
Others – Clams $2.60 + Garlic $0.30 = $2.90
We spent a whooping 5.70 + $2.99 + $4.05 + $1.50 + $2.90 = $17.14 for the 3 of us for 5 dishes.
After cutting out Sophie’s portion, each adult portion will be $7.30.
We spent about an hour recreating this and we had fun and a good laugh. We hope you have reading it too.